House Clearance in Blackheath
The hundred of Blackheath
Bounded on the north by Woking, on the west by Godalming, on the east by Wotton, and on the south by the county of Sussex.
Tyting, in St. Martha’s parish, was in Woking Hundred in 1086 and subsequently, (fn. 2) but is now counted as in Blackheath. In 1086 three virgates (rated) of Gomshall were in Wotton Hundred, not in Blackheath, but as Gomshall was ancient demesne, and the tenants were quit of all sheriffs’ courts, it made little difference.
Blackheath is a high, heathy common, chiefly in the parishes of Albury and Wonersh; but much of the adjacent country, which is partly inclosed and partly open heath or planted with conifers, equally deserves the name. The population must always have been chiefly round about this country, and the place of meeting of the hundred court might have been expected to be upon it, as at Farnham; but in 1377 it was held at La Perie, which is also referred to in the Godalming Rolls as the place of holding. This would seem to be near Perry Bridge in Shalford parish, over the Wey, on the road from Godalming to Bramley, on the extreme verge of the hundred.
The jurisdiction of the sheriff’s court was practically much curtailed by private rights. In Domesday Odo of Bayeux held Bramley, which included a great deal of the then inhabited part of the hundred. This no doubt explains the low assessment at 6½ hides, against 97 under Edward the Confessor, and was perhaps the origin of the separate court leet of Bramley. The lords of Shalford, Wintershull, and Gomshall, and the rectors of Shalford and Cranleigh also had courts leet, and the lord of Albury view of frankpledge, but the latter gave the profits to the Crown. The lord of Shere claimed view of frankpledge previous to 1238, (fn. 5) the lord of Albury claimed the same, and it was granted to Bramley by charter of Henry III. But all these townships paid an annual fine to the sheriff. In 1671 Shere paid 20s., Gomshall 12s., Albury 13s. 8d., Shalford 6s. 8d. The royal rights, such as they were, were granted by James I in 1620 to Sir Edward Zouche of Woking, and to the heirs male of Sir Alan his uncle, together with Woking Hundred and Manor and other lands, to be held by the service of bringing in the first dish to the king’s table on St. James’s Day and paying annually £100. All feudal incidents were expressly abrogated.
What can EasyClear House Clearance do for you?
EasyClear are a fully insured, licensed and a highly experienced house clearance company. We provide an environmentally sensitive service where we recycle and re-use where ever possible. Where that isn’t possible we ensure that we dispose of your rubbish legitamately and carefully.
We operate locally in Blackheath providing house clearance, garden clearance and a full range of contract service for offices and businesses. We offer a worry free contents appraisel which includes professional valuation of antiques, quality collectables and second hand furniture.
Understanding our customer needs and what the customer expects in order to provide the very best bespoke service, has made EasyClear the outstanding clearance provider. With our Blackheath house clearance and rubbish removal, EasyClear has a reputation for strong business ethics, combined with an awareness of today’s customers needs.
Call us anytime of the day or night 0800 58 78 783 (mobiles call 0208 773 2000)